Skip to main content

Interna

I am giving (another) seminar inward Heidelberg on Wed (April 25th), this fourth dimension virtually my upcoming book.

May 1st is a national vacation inward FRG (labor day) in addition to I’ll last off-grid due to solid unit of measurement affairs for about days.

May seventh to ninth I am inward Stockholm to larn yelled at (it’s complicated).

On May 26th I am inward Hay-on-Wye which is a hamlet someplace Great Britain that hosts an termination called How The Light Gets In at which I am supposed to fighting how “the pursuit of beauty drive[s] the evils that concur dorsum a meliorate society.” I wouldn’t larn equally far equally calling grand unification an evil, in addition to hence delight don’t approximate me past times the tagline.

I accept too been asked to part this ikon below. Hope it makes to a greater extent than feel to y'all than to me.


On May 28th I am giving a public lecture inward Dublin at the Irish Quantum Foundations conference.

In summary this agency May volition last a real tiresome calendar month on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Particle Physics Right Away Belly Up

Particle physics. Artist’s impression. Professor Ben Allanach is a particle physicist at Cambridge University. He exactly wrote an promotion for my book that appeared on Aeon roughly days agone nether the championship “Going Nowhere Fast” . I’m kidding of course, Allanach’s essay has no relation to my book. At to the lowest degree non that I know of. But it’s non a coincidence he writes virtually the really problems that I also speak over inward my book . After all, the whole argue I wrote the mass was that this province of affairs was foreseeable: The Large Hadron Collider hasn’t institute prove for whatever novel particles likewise the Higgs-boson (at to the lowest degree non thence far), thence at i time particle physicists are at a loss for how to proceed. Even if they uncovering something inward the information that’s nonetheless to come, it is clear already that their predictions were wrong. Theory-development inward particle physics for the terminal forty years has work...

Outraged Nigh The Google Multifariousness Memo? One Desire You Lot To Mean Value Nigh It.

Chairs. [ Image: Verco ] That leaked internal memo from James Damore at Google ? The 1 that says 1 shouldn’t hold off employees inwards all professions to reverberate the demographics of the whole population? Well, that was a pretty dumb affair to write. But non because it’s wrong. Dumb is that Damore thought he could receive got a reasoned give-and-take close this. In the USA, out of all places. The version of Damore’s memo that get-go appeared on Gizmodo missed references together with images. But meanwhile, the multifariousness memo has its ain website together with it comes with links together with graphics. Damore’s strikes me equally a pamphlet produced past times a well-meaning, but also utterly clueless, immature white man. He didn’t deserve to get fired for this. He deserved mayhap a slap on the too-quickly typing fingers. But inwards his world, bespeak for give-and-take is evidently plenty to learn fired. I don’t commonly write close the underrepresentation of wo...

Dear Dr B: Should 1 Report String Theory?

Strings. [image: freeimages.com ] “Greetings doctor Hossenfelder! I am a Princeton physics major who regularly reads your wonderful blog. I lately came across a curious passage inwards Brian Greene’s introduction to a reprint edition of Einstein's Meaning of Relativity which claims that: “Superstring theory successfully merges full general relativity in addition to quantum mechanics [...] Moreover, non exclusively does superstring theory merge full general relativity with quantum mechanics, but it also has the capacity to comprehend — on an equal reason — the electromagnetic force, the weak force, in addition to the strong force. Within superstring theory, each of these forces is merely associated with a dissimilar vibrational designing of a string. And so, similar a guitar chord composed of 4 dissimilar notes, the 4 forces of nature are united inside the music of superstring theory. What’s more, the same goes for all of thing every bit well. The electron, the quarks,...